Wow – we can’t believe it! A whole year of zine-making, futuristic visions, and other crafty spectaculars…and now, only 10 days ’till a moment of feminist-y community!
- We’ve received a record number of applications to FZF 2018, so…applications are hereby closed! Thank you for your energy & magical zinemaking thusfar. We’ll be in touch in a few short weeks.
2) There’s a…Massachusetts Feminist Zinefest (!!!) coming up in April 2018.
We’re so excited to hear it! That means…a double-header of – FZF in March, and MFZF in April! Woohoo. The more feminist zinefests the merrier – feel free to be in touch if you want encouragement or tips in starting one!
See you at one or both of these upcoming lovely events :-).
It’s that special time – zinefest season! Apply here: (http://bit.ly/2hHN2ps)
* *Sunday, March 25th – 12-6pm * * * Mark yr calendars!!!!
We hope to see YOU there! ❤
Three years ago, a group of intrepid zinesters made space on New York City’s subway trains to create…zines!
And it was a ton of fun! We’re doing it again this year, as the POC MTA Zine Residency – a space for people of color to get together, creatively jam, and make zines :-). (Or collage, chat, and draw… whatever is your fancy!)
WHEN: We’ll be meeting up at 12pm on Sunday, Oct. 1st – and riding the trains up to the Bronx, down to Coney Island, etc!
WHERE: Meeting up at 125th Street Station – head car of the northbound D train.
(Accessibility: Elevator on southwest corner of 125 Street and Saint Nicholas Avenue)
WHAT happens if I can’t find you?
We’ll add a phone # here soon, so you can find out where the roaming zine crew is!
WHAT ELSE: The first ten attendees will receive goody bags, packed with zine making supplies a roundtrip Metrocard provided by the Barnard Zine Library.
A note on accessibility: We’d like to make this as accessible as possible, but unfortunately the NYC subway systems are not well designed for wheelchair access. Please feel free to be in touch if you have suggestions or questions about how to join up with the event. (http://web.mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm)
And to read up on our first event from 2014, check out this NYTimes article here! [https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/arts/design/zine-makers-grab-their-metrocards-and-go-to-work.html]
Bring yr POC pals & kids! All ages welcome.
It’s a wild n’ wooly world of zines out there, for sure!
This January, Zinphony (great name!) took place in Takasaki, Gunma, Japan!
Back in 2012, there was a really cool looking zinefest in Mexico City – [http://zinamigos.tumblr.com/]
They may not exist anymore, but this poster is killin’ it!
Thank you Alex!! for keeping track of all the lil’ zine events that sprout like a springtime flower, for one perfect season… & the perennials, who rock on every year in full force.
(below pic: Chicago Zinefest, with its wild amount of over 100 (maybe even 200) tablers!!!)
This month of March – – it’s Zinefest Madness!
- Check out this amazing-sounding zinefest coming up on Thursday, March 16th: ZINISTER – “a zine fair for/by people of color and lgbtq+ folks. The fair is part of BAAD! Ass Women 2017 festival, and it is a call for our local artists and cultural workers to disrupt the system through creative resistance.The event will take place on March 16, 2017 from 5:30pm-9pm at the Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance. It will include a zine fair, a zine-making station, readings, and more.” (https://www.facebook.com/events/1902708096629763/)
2. NYC Feminist Zinefest!!!! Yayyy thank you to everyone for coming & making it into a jumbo creative explosion 🙂 Photos and more of a recap soon…
3. Paper Jazz took place, another NYC-based ‘fest, as well as a smaller one at Quimby’s Bookstore in Williamsburg, NYC.
Safe to say, zines are coming in strong for 2017, with a multi-zinefest revival just in the humble month of March alone! What zine-y antics does this unpredictable year hold?
Thank you again for being amazing zinesters, & supporting DIY culture!
Wow – time crept up upon us – in the husky glow of winter darkness, a great time for secret zine-making times by candlelight…
In only a FEW WEEKS – – – NYC Feminist Zinefest 2017!!!!!!
Sunday. March 5th. 12pm-6pm. It’s gonna. be. amazing.
Please share this awesome poster (below) by the incredible Sy Abudu – – – & help spread the word about NYC’s radical, DIY spirit of self-publishing & celebration of all things weird & zine-y.
Facebook event: (pls share widely!!!) https://www.facebook.com/events/643944669137923/
Woohoo! It’s that wild & amazing time – we’re getting ever closer to zinefest magic!
Click the above link & send us info about the cool zines you’ve been cookin’ up all yearlong…!
Feel free to be in touch with any questions!
Save the date on yr calendar, and keep yr eyes here for more info 🙂
For folks who want to table at the event, i.e. sell/trade your zines – info about how to apply for a table will be posted in the coming weeks
What: NYC Feminist Zinefest 2017 (Our 5th year!!! Woohoo!)
When: Sunday, March 5th / 12pm-6pm
Where: Barnard College / 3009 Broadway / New York City
Thank you for all yr support, and be in touch with any questions!
– FZF 2017 Organizers: Jenna, Cassandra, & Elvis