It’s a wild n’ wooly world of zines out there, for sure!
This January, Zinphony (great name!) took place in Takasaki, Gunma, Japan!
Back in 2012, there was a really cool looking zinefest in Mexico City – [http://zinamigos.tumblr.com/]
They may not exist anymore, but this poster is killin’ it!
And Malaysia has TWO zinefests – one in Johor Bahru, and one in Kuala Lumpur!
How do we know all this magical international info? Thanks to Alex Wrekk, who sustains & mantains the excellent resource – http://www.stolensharpierevolution.org/–> (also a book).
Thank you Alex!! for keeping track of all the lil’ zine events that sprout like a springtime flower, for one perfect season… & the perennials, who rock on every year in full force.
(below pic: Chicago Zinefest, with its wild amount of over 100 (maybe even 200) tablers!!!)
This month of March – – it’s Zinefest Madness!
- Check out this amazing-sounding zinefest coming up on Thursday, March 16th: ZINISTER – “a zine fair for/by people of color and lgbtq+ folks. The fair is part of BAAD! Ass Women 2017 festival, and it is a call for our local artists and cultural workers to disrupt the system through creative resistance.The event will take place on March 16, 2017 from 5:30pm-9pm at the Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance. It will include a zine fair, a zine-making station, readings, and more.” (https://www.facebook.com/events/1902708096629763/)
2. NYC Feminist Zinefest!!!! Yayyy thank you to everyone for coming & making it into a jumbo creative explosion 🙂 Photos and more of a recap soon…
3. Paper Jazz took place, another NYC-based ‘fest, as well as a smaller one at Quimby’s Bookstore in Williamsburg, NYC.
Safe to say, zines are coming in strong for 2017, with a multi-zinefest revival just in the humble month of March alone! What zine-y antics does this unpredictable year hold?
Thank you again for being amazing zinesters, & supporting DIY culture!
Wow – time crept up upon us – in the husky glow of winter darkness, a great time for secret zine-making times by candlelight…
In only a FEW WEEKS – – – NYC Feminist Zinefest 2017!!!!!!
Sunday. March 5th. 12pm-6pm. It’s gonna. be. amazing.
Please share this awesome poster (below) by the incredible Sy Abudu – – – & help spread the word about NYC’s radical, DIY spirit of self-publishing & celebration of all things weird & zine-y.
Facebook event: (pls share widely!!!) https://www.facebook.com/events/643944669137923/
Woohoo! It’s that wild & amazing time – we’re getting ever closer to zinefest magic!
**Applications are open for NYC Feminist Zinefest 2017**
Click the above link & send us info about the cool zines you’ve been cookin’ up all yearlong…!
Feel free to be in touch with any questions!
Save the date on yr calendar, and keep yr eyes here for more info 🙂
For folks who want to table at the event, i.e. sell/trade your zines – info about how to apply for a table will be posted in the coming weeks
What: NYC Feminist Zinefest 2017 (Our 5th year!!! Woohoo!)
When: Sunday, March 5th / 12pm-6pm
Where: Barnard College / 3009 Broadway / New York City
Thank you for all yr support, and be in touch with any questions!
– FZF 2017 Organizers: Jenna, Cassandra, & Elvis
Huzzah! The night before the zinefest, get yourself pumped up on zine magic by swinging by Bluestockings Bookstore!
We’ll have a great lineup of FZF tablers reading from their own work…people come from far & wide for the zinefest, so it will be exciting! 🙂
Where: Bluestockings Bookstore – 172 Allen Street, New York, NY (Manhattan’s Lower East Side)
When: Saturday, February 27th!
Feel free to help invite folks & spread the word!
See you there ! 🙂
Pretty sweet lineup of zinesters, and you can check it out here: https://feministzinefestnyc.wordpress.com/who/
Clicking on a zinester’s name will lead to their website, if you’d like to get a sense of what types of topics will be represented at the zinefest… (so many!)
Feel free to be in touch with us through Facebook or email if you have questions…thanks!
If you’re into academic conferences, be sure to check out these other two feminist-themed events being held at Barnard and nearby Columbia University on the weekend of the zinefest –
- BCRW (Barnard Center for Research on Women) is hosting their “Scholar and Feminist Conference” on February 27th.
Such people as: Reina Gossett, Cara Page, Krystal Portalatin, Joo-Hyun Kang & more, will be speaking there!
More info at their website: http://bcrw.barnard.edu/event/sf41/
2) Over at Columbia, the Institute for Research on Women, Gender, and Sexuality is hosting conference called “Practicing Utopias: Feminism and Activism in Institutional Contexts.”
This one is on February 26th – if that’s your jam, you can check it out more here: http://irwgs.columbia.edu/events/2016-02/practicing-utopias-feminism-and-activism-institutional-contexts
Check out this great poster that zinester (and tabler at FZF) Katherine Arnoldi whipped up…
…the excitement! the colors! Feel free to post this around the internets or send to everyone you know 🙂
We were thrilled to have almost 100 applications for this year’s zinefest!
Thank you for applying, and we’re super looking forward to February 28th – a cozy winter day, when the air is filled with the excitement of fresh zines and new folks.
Also, photos from last year are now up! https://feministzinefestnyc.wordpress.com/photos/